Topeka, KS – Gov. Mark Parkinson has vetoed the Huelskamp Amendment, a proviso attached to the Kansas state budget that would have denied tax money to Planned Parenthood.
Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri receives tax funding from both Kansas and Missouri. It took in nearly $300,000 from the pockets of Kansas taxpayers last year , not to mention the cash they received from double-dipping in the State of Missouri. Huelskamp’s common-sense proviso would have redirected the Kansas money instead to respectable health care providers.
This veto done:
• In spite of 107 criminal charges that are pending against Planned Parenthood.
• In spite of a phone call released to the public that was recorded just 4 weeks ago indicating that Planned Parenthood is ignoring clear cases of child sex abuse.
• In spite of the fact that taxpayer funding of abortion businesses are opposed by the majority of Americans, including Kansans.
• In spite of the fact that respectible hospitals and clinics will now have to struggle to find funding elsewhere so they may continue to provide legitimate health care.
• In spite of passage of the Huelskamp Amendment by an overwhelming majority of the Legislature.
• In spite of thousands and calls and e-mails that have flooded the Governor’s office in support of the defunding measure.
“Parkinson has decided to ignore and the overwhelming majority of the legislature and the will of the people it represents to continue to fund a Planned Parenthood abortion organization that evidence shows is more than likely engaged in criminal conduct,” said Operation Rescue President Troy Newman. “Parkinson now officially joins the ranks of corrupt abortion collaborators that continue to protect this predatory abortion business at the risk of women and girls. By putting his political agenda above the welfare of the people, he has shown that he is not fit for public office.”