Operation Rescue Says, “This Is The Last Straw!”

New Information in Washington Post Reveals that Miers Cannot be “Trusted.”

WASHINGTON, DC — Operation Rescue promises to actively oppose the nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court of the United States if she refuses to withdraw her name from consideration. Operation Rescue was the first group to publicly call for Miers withdrawal.

“In recent weeks, the only evidence that has been forthcoming concerning Miers judicial philosophy — if any — especially concerning life issues has caused us to be more concerned than ever that Miers is not the right person for this job,” said Operation Rescue President Troy Newman.

“Evidence published today in the Washington Post shows that Miers cannot be trusted,” said Operation Rescue President Troy Newman. “In speeches given to a Dallas women’s group, she praised rabid pro-aborts such as Gloria Steinem, Hillary Clinton, and Kay Bailey Hutchinson and made disturbing remarks in favor of ‘self-determination’ — a liberal code word for abortion on demand. This indicates that the Miers nomination is an utter betrayal of President Bush’s campaign promise to conservatives to appoint justices to the Supreme Court in the mold of Scalia and Thomas.”

“The President insists that we simply trust him that Miers will not change. But what does that mean? Miers seems to be a political chameleon that changes with the prevailing mood of the day. Now she is ‘pro-life’ but a few years ago she was obviously pro-abortion. This is absolutely unacceptable and is a slap in the face to conservatives who cast their votes for Bush based on his promise to reform the Supreme Court,” said OR spokesperson Cheryl Sullenger.

“We have a message for the President,” said Newman. “Read my lips: Your nomination of Harriet Miers has little to no support among the conservative base that re-elected you. In the best interest of this nation, please withdraw Miers’ name from consideration to the nation’s highest court, and appoint someone with proven conservative credentials, or face a battle of epic proportions that will spill into the mid-term elections with devastating consequences for you and the Republican Party.”

Read story in Washington Post

Comments

  1. Gary Drumm says:

    In the late 80′s, I was pretty avidly pro-choice. My belief was that abortion was a women’s issue and that men had little or no say in the matter, much like perhaps a yeast infection or period. Only when I matured into my 30′s did I realize what abortion actually was and I have since become strongly pro-life. I write about it, I speak about it, I am politically active in trying to reverse the course of this country on this horrible epidemic.

    What I have had is a deep, sincere change of heart on the issue. As I educated myself more and more, studied the scriptures, and looked at the evidence I became increasingly convinced that abortion is murder. I still believe that today and I fight as hard as I possibly can against abortion.

    So, given my circumstance; a one time hard-rocker, pro-choice, man who’s had a complete conversion on the issue, would people take things that I said 10 or 15 years ago and hold them against me today if I were being considered for the high court?

    I wonder if we’re all just a little gunshy about the issue because President Bush seems to be operating from a position of weakness. To actively oppose a woman based on what she may or may not have said “a few years ago”, seems… desparate.

    I have faith in God. I do what I can to fulfill his purpose in my life and I will continue to fight against abortion at all levels of government, but shouldn’t we give this woman, who by all other accounts has been shown to be a godly woman of great conviction, the benefit of the doubt?

    Even if she were as advidly pro-life as all of us, and she were placed on the bench tomorrow morning and could overturn Roe by Friday afternoon, abortion would not end in this country.

    No, what we need to do is have faith in our God, faith in our President, and faith that Ms. Miers is who she says she is and believes what she says she believes.

    We need to stop fighting her and get back to the real battle, the battle for hearts and minds. We won’t stop abortion by simply making it illegal, we’ll stop abortion by making it socially unacceptable. Win the hearts and minds to our side, and we’ll win the war on the unborn.

  2. Gary Drumm wrote:
    So, given my circumstance; a one time hard-rocker, pro-choice, man who’s had a complete conversion on the issue, would people take things that I said 10 or 15 years ago and hold them against me today if I were being considered for the high court?

    My response:
    Yes, and well they should. Your history is important to the question of how you might rule if you were a member of a court. If one’s history means nothing, why do we have vetting processes?

    Gary Drumm wrote:
    To actively oppose a woman based on what she may or may not have said “a few years ago”, seems… desparate.

    My response:
    This is ridiculous. If people aren’t to be judged based on their public positions, how are we supposed to judge them? Not everyone has soul x-ray vision like the kind President Bush used on that wonderful humanitarian Vladimir Putin.

    Gary Drumm wrote:
    Even if she were as advidly pro-life as all of us, and she were placed on the bench tomorrow morning and could overturn Roe by Friday afternoon, abortion would not end in this country.

    My response:
    So we shouldn’t care if she’s pro-life or not? I don’t understand the point of this comment. The fact that we have a 6-3 (or maybe 7-2) pro-Roe court means that her views are much MORE important; we need multiple anti-Roe nominees. You imply messing this appointment up isn’t that big of a deal.

    Gary Drumm wrote:
    No, what we need to do is have faith in our God, faith in our President, and faith that Ms. Miers is who she says she is and believes what she says she believes.

    My response:
    We had faith in Reagan and O’Connor; we had faith in Reagan and Kennedy; we had faith in Bush and Souter. We should have faith in God, but how that translates into an argument for trusting Bush or Miers is beyond me.

    Gary Drumm wrote:
    We need to stop fighting her and get back to the real battle, the battle for hearts and minds. We won’t stop abortion by simply making it illegal, we’ll stop abortion by making it socially unacceptable.

    My response:
    It doesn’t suprise me that you support Miers, because you apparently don’t view getting pro-lifers on the Supreme Court as critical to winning the abortion war. If I thought the Supreme Court was as unimportant as you do, I wouldn’t care about Miers either.

  3. “Even if she were as advidly pro-life as all of us, and she were placed on the bench tomorrow morning and could overturn Roe by Friday afternoon, abortion would not end in this country.”

    This is one of the most lame statements made today and is made by many so-called “Republicans” and “Pro-Lifers”.

    Abortion is murder, plain and simple. We need to overturn the law that made murder legal in America and we need our states to make laws which protect us, not laws that allow people to legally kill us because we’re unwanted!

    Peter

    Join the Monthly Call for Life at http://www.marchtogether.com. Even if you are already involved in a Pro-Life movement, join us anyway. It only takes 15 minutes a month. (unless you also join us in our marches on government buildings obviously)

  4. Ashley Long says:

    I agree men shouldnt have say on yeast infections either, better yet….I don’t think they care LOL.
    Abortion, is obviously another story.

    Ever noticed how that old lady wears too much eye liner? yikes. She maybe should step down so she has time for me to show her how to do make-up. ;) haha I know thats immature but who says we can’t all have a little innocent laugh? come on everybody.. ha ha ha! Okay good. Now, back to being serious…

  5. I’d focused on this comment before noticing how others had also:

    “No, what we need to do is have faith in our God, faith in our President, and faith that Ms. Miers is who she says she is and believes what she says she believes.”

    –This reminded me of the old line about ‘Have faith in God but keep your gunpowder dry.’ Faith in God is one thing. But faith in the President, who’s as human as the rest of us, is different. Many, many people voted for George W. Bush on the premise that he would appoint pro-life, conservative judges, and Supreme Court Justices if he had the chance.

    Miers very well could be the swing vote to overturn Roe. Are you seriously telling us that with that issue riding on George Bush’s selection, the best he could come up with is the former head of the Texas Lottery Commission (?!?) with absolutely NO pro-life indicia, with no judging experience as well? IMHO Bush had a perfect chance to appoint someone like Antonin Scalia, God bless him — in other words, another conservative, well-renowned, intellectual heavyweight who had sat on some Circuit Court of Appeals, and whose qualifications were utterly beyond reproach — and dared the liberals to oppose him. He blinked. Sorry George, that doesn’t cut if for me. Miers should not be on the Court, but there are bigger issues at stake here.

    Another aspect of your line that struck me: “we need to have faith that Ms. Miers is who she says she is.” Exactly who DOES she say she is? Nobody really knows, and we have no judicial opinions to go on, as we would if she had actually had some judging beforehand. Reports seem to say she goes how the wind blows. Those are really, really bad signs for every American, let alone unborn babies. So what if she goes to Church? If this board is evidence enough, so does George Tiller…

  6. Thank God! *** Harriet Miers Withdraws as Nominee ***

    Congratulations to Operation rescue and to the rest of the nation’s concerned Christian conservatives.

    Thank you for your hard and faithful work in revealing the truth about President Bush’s Supreme court nomination Harriet Miers and in revealing his agenda in doing so.

    Now we can keep the President honest and have him nominate a real qualified ProLife canade worth of the Supreme Court and worthy of our Nations acceptance.

    God Bless you,
    David Anson Brown

  7. Gary Drumm says:

    OK, you all have completely and utterly missed my point. Before you attack me, **me** someone who is utterly and completely opposed to abortion under any circumstance (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gary+drumm+abortion&btnG=Google+Search) why don’t we all step back from situation for a moment and look at this froma logical persepctive. Particularly Jeremy and his scathing attack on me personally for daring to disagree with the political rhetoric.

    The facts are simple:

    1. People get abortions because they don’t want the baby. They are more concerned with themselves and their own lives. So they convince themselves that it’s not really a person that they’re killing.
    2. The law currently supports this.

    So what our battle is on both fronts. Demonstrate that the child in the womb is a person and get the law to recognize that as a person that child has rights – in particular the right to live.

    My point on the Meirs nomination was that the woman did have, in recent years, some record on the pro-life side of the argument. To completely ignore that record would have been unfair. Also unfair is to ignore the President’s record on the types of judges he has appointed or nominated.

    No matter what your opinion of Bush, I would say that he has done more for the pro-life movement than any other President since Roe.

    He signed the Partial Birth Abortion ban.
    He signed the Infant Born Alive Protection Act.
    He signed the Unborn Victims of Violence Act.
    He supports the Child Custody Protection Act.
    He supports the Mexico City Policy.
    He supports a ban on abortions at military facilities.
    He supports the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act.

    George W Bush IS a Pro-life President. So why do we fight among ourselves? Why do attack those who are on our side? You know who really loves all of this… the pro-aborts. So step down off your high horse for a minute and let’s look at the issue logically, not emotionally.

    My point was simply that I have every faith in God that His will would be done here, and apparently I am correct in believing just that.

  8. Boy, we really ARE “sheeple” ready to be slaughtered! If Miers was pro-abort (and most likely stilll is) why oh why would the liberal Democrats oppose her so strongly? Can you say “SMOKE SCREEN” ….I thought you could. The real worry is who’s up next & how much worse will they be in this big game?
    oh… and “Trust Bush”????? His spiritual fruit is 100% ROTTEN!!!! Check out the list on cuttingedge.org

  9. To Gary Drumm,
    After reading your list of supposed good things Bush has signed, it’s obvious you never actually read the bills. He speaks with a forked tongue. The titles are completely the opposite of the words contained therein. The partial birth abortion ban is the worst! It purposely describes the birth process with the baby being delivered backwards, so that it if fact actually legalizes the process it claims to ban.

  10. rick ellis says:

    debate is healthy. the truth will always stand, no matter what you throw at it.

    We don’t need to drink the party cool-aide. We must keep folk honest who promised.

    It is a very healthy sign to see miers withdraw. It means we the people still have a voice of influence.

    It is time to realize pre-born children are worth fighting for, put on the political brass knucks, and smash the pro-aborts in the proverbial mouth.

    How can we continue to playcate the uncivilized with our pretence of civility?

    We are way to timid in the fight. Let the all here our voice in a united shout…

    NO MORE !!!!

  11. This was such an informative, relevant answer. It was exactly what I was looking for. I’m so happy to know I’ll be getting something out of you posts.

Speak Your Mind

*